If you told me you had a cookie recipe with NO: Refined sugar, refined flour, eggs, dairy, or gluten I probably wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I would hope that such a recipe would be palatable, but would definitely have my doubts.
Well, I found such a recipe in a cookbook I just bought called Clean Food by Terry Walters. They are called Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies, and I thought I'd give them a try (anything for my poor, allergy ridden, Weston). They were quite good, and SUPER easy to make. The inside is soft and spongy, a little bit like a muffin. I KNOW they pass the test when Scott keeps coming back for more.

2 bananas, mashed
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. maple syrup
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. gluten-free rolled oats
2/3 c. brown rice flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. shredded unsweetened dried coconut
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
Combine bananas, oil, syrup and vanilla in a medium bowl. Combine oats, flour, soda, coconut and salt in a seperate bowl. Add banana miture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Line cookies sheet with parchment and drop batter by the heaping spoonfuls. No need to roll, flatten or shape the mounds.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 1 1/2 dozen.
(update 5.23.11) This recipe may or may not have refined sugar depending on the kind of semi-sweet chocolate chips you buy. Some are grain sweetened, some are sweetened with sugar...& on and on. This recipe is adapted slightly from it's original version. I upped the salt and vanilla, and it's the bomb. I've made them twice and I think it's my favorite cookie now. Last time I made a double batch and put some in the freezer. What a treat!!! Don't worry about it having a wierd maple syrup flare. You can't taste it at all.
Give them a try! They go fast, and you don't feel nasty afterwards.
1 comment:
thanks for posting this. Will you make me some????? ;)
Post a Comment