I found a new quinoa recipe, and I'm totally stoked about it! I've been perusing a new food blog (new to me) called ourbestbites.com. Lots of things were catching my eye, but this is first thing I tried, and it's a winner. They mention on their post that it would be good atop grilled chicken breast, or fish...and I totally agree. I can even imagine it on some Maryland crabcakes, if ya know what I mean (something I've yet to make).
Recipe adapted by ourbestbites.com from Ali Vincent, and further adapted by me...1 C quinoa
1 1/2 C water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
*Rinse quinoa REALLY well (If you have time, soak it for 15 minutes, too--then drain). Put in pot with the water & salt; bring to a boil, cover, turn heat down to low, and set timer for 15 minutes. When done, remove from heat and let sit for 5 more minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed (I like Eden's Organic brand. BPA-free lining)
2 med mangos, peeled & diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3-6 green onions, thinly sliced (to your liking)
1 lg handful chopped cilantro
*Add the above ingredients to the cooled quinoa (it can be warm...no biggie).
4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
sea salt & freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
*Wisk vinegar, oil, lime juice, salt & pepper together and pour over salad. Chill in fridge--or just dig in!!!
...that's what we did. Weston had thirds. Then, while I was distracted by taking pictures of my creation, Weston stole his dad's bowl and started in on that, too. I took it away and told him we needed to leave some for Daddy when he got home. This was his response:
...so he went to time out.
This Mango Salad is that good ;)
5 comments:
Wow, time out because your food was sooo good! I love it. I am going to try this because I bought some quinoa and haven't used it yet. Thanks!
I also bought quinoa recently, I've never tried it before. This looks delicious, I'll have to try it!
Looks like a dreamy dream. I will try this asap since I am up for anything that includes a mango. Looks like you live by the same rules. (the Thai mango dessert) Smartest plan ever. I am still a little confused what quinoa is. I'll google it. I miss you! Thanks for the updates!
LOVE quinoa :) Love you!!!!!!!!
YUmmmm!!! Sounds heavenly! So my sister had a friend who brought over some quinoa just last night- it was good, but no where near the deliciousness that you made for the Memorial Day picnic! I still need to make it. If my girls would eat like your boys do- I'd be one happy mama!! :) Spencer's out gathering last minute ingredients for our 4th of July feast!!! We're SO excited!
Post a Comment