Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ella Barbara McGavin (Apr. 8, 1930 - Mar. 5, 2009)

My sweet Grandma Ella passed away at the beginning of the month:( She was greatest lady, and will be missed SO MUCH.


She was the most perfect and supportive grandma anyone could ask for.

She threw the best holiday parties for her grand kids. For Halloween she'd make my uncle Blair hide in the shower in a ghost costume while we went all through the house on a ghost hunt. And at her Christmas parties cute grandpa had to pose as a Christmas tree while we strung him up with lights and bulbs then plugged him in (that is particularly funny if you know my grandpa:). She would do anything for her grand kids...and a good party! She also tried to go to EVERY recital (as shown above-Tyler and I look amazing, I know), and sporting event possible. If there were multiple events at the same time she and grandpa would split up.

I love her, and will miss her so much...but I'm also glad that she is out of her pain. Her health had really gone down hill this last year. Towards the end, she could barely see, talk, or doing anything physical. If you know Ella, you know she would rather be dead than not be able to GO, GO, GO!!! BUSY BODY to the extreme. One time years back she took me and my sister to an orthodontist appointment. She of course had to wait for us while we were in the office. When we came out to the parking lot we found her pruning their trees (she truly can't hold still).

I'm so glad that Owen got the chance to meet her, and I'm very excited to tell Ella stories to my kids for years to come. What a wonderful lady, indeed!

5 comments:

Lorna said...

I love Ella too. I feel like she was part of my family. She was always interested in me and my family. I liked to watch her do the dishes and clean after all the family parties up at your house on Top Of the World.
Truly a great lady.
That first picture of you looks just like Nat when she was little!

Schrievers in a Nutshell said...

Oh Stacey I am so sorry for your loss...she sounds like an amazing grandma and person. I love that she pruned the trees at the orthodontist office!

Kelsey said...

I'm peeing about Gordon in the christmas lights and Blair :) Seriously, Ella takes the cake. I'm so glad that we're related!!!
Tyler's sport coat is truly spectacular.
LOVE YOU GUYS

Kelsey said...

honey, I was QUEEN of dog ears....and yes, they were stylin

Heidi Ann said...

It's so hard to loose your grandparents but you are right, it is ok when you can see them let go of their pain. I wish I could have met her and got some pruning tips. Smart.